|By Greg Ness||
|February 18, 2013 07:00 AM EST||
Today there is a war being fought between Amazon AWS and the enterprise over the future direction of the IT industry. Amazon promotes the public cloud as a destination, a primary and permanent facility for a company’s IT infrastructure; while enterprises today are mostly interested in cloud as a secondary facility used as needed, for everything from cloud devtest to cloud continuity and ultimately emerging “cloud on demand” operating models.
This war is completely unnecessary. A cloud (zone) is not optimum as a fixed, permanent enterprise app and service delivery destination. The cloud is infinitely more compelling as an on demand resource for resilience, devtest and/or agility, while a traditional data center or colocation facility is optimum for predictable workloads, even with the added flexibility and efficiency of virtualization.
Agility will likely become the killer app for all enterprises, even those with the deepest pockets, as we experience accelerating rates of change in an increasingly service and software-driven world. That is why hybrid cloud is generating disproportionate buzz (ahead of deployments) in the industry; it is the ultimate answer for enterprise IT.
It makes no business sense today to simply migrate an enterprise app from one fixed location to another fixed location, any more than it makes sense to build yet another data center (unless it is an accounting exercise).
While small and medium enterprises may embrace hybrid clouds predominantly for costs savings (inexpensive disaster recovery enabled by cloud, for example) larger enterprises will likely embrace hybrid clouds for agility.
That is also why cloud migration without integration is simply a dead end, even though it may be the pipe dream for at least one cloud provider. In the short term public cloud means a wholesale move (cloud migration), akin to hiring a moving company, to get you settled into your new long term facility. That has to change. Stay tuned.
- Cloud Academy to Exhibit at @CloudExpo | @CloudRank #AWS #Docker #Azure
- Outlyer Named “Bronze Sponsor” of @CloudExpo | @OutlyerApp #AI #DevOps
- [session] #Serverless Web Apps | @CloudExpo @ChrisMunns #SDN #DevOps
- [slides] The Right #AWS Services | @CloudExpo @BMCSoftware #TrueSight
- Cloud Wars: Is 2017 the Year of the Cloud Land Grab? | @CloudExpo #AWS #Azure #Cloud
- The Top 150 Players in Cloud Computing
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- The Future of Cloud Computing: Industry Predictions for 2012
- Cloud Expo 2011 New York Expands Technical Program
- Bye Bye Command Line; Amazon Releases Its AWS Web Console
- 5th Cloud Expo in New York: Themes & Topics
- Opinion: Who Made Amazon the Judge of What's Legal on the Web?
- Cloud Computing Bootcamp Returns to Silicon Valley
- Cloud Computing Economics - Amazon EC2 vs Terremark v Cloud Express
- Cloud BI & Amazon VPC